Saturday, July 16, 2011

Harry Potter

Ever since I was very young, I have memories of going out with the whole fam and seeing the new Harry Potter movie coming out at the time. Now that time seems to have passed. After a few years of seeing the Harry Potter movies before I read the books, I thought myself to finally be old enough and have a high enough reading level to handle reading them before I saw the movies. If I am remembering correctly the first one I read before the movie was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I've been doing the same ever since. When the last book came out, I was sad, yes, but not extremely so, I knew there were several more movies to come out in theatres. But here I am 4 years later not being able to say the same thing.

Two nights ago now I went to go see the midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II. Due to it being the last movie, I convinced my Mom to come with me and a few friends of mine to the theatre at midnight. Actually we arrived about 2 hours early. The theatre location was filled, 25 movie theatres all playing one movie, we all sold out. When we arrived we began to see those who really went ALL OUT on their costumes (my favorite was Bellatrix!), and I couldn't help but think how amazing it was that someone could create this phenomenon, an entirely new society and culture. How could this possibly come to someone, it amazes me every time.

After about two hours of waiting, every theatre filled, the movie began. I couldn't help but feel a sense of sadness, that this would be the last beginning, but I didn't venture this thought until later. Every conflict closing, each line ending... Though I had just reread the book, and there was little surprise for me, I couldn't help but cry when the characters cried, and so on. But nothing compares to the last minute of the movie, everybody knew it was about to end. It didn't really hit me though to the last second, a sadness overwhelmed me and my eyes filled with tears. The screen then went black and it was about to go to the credits when someone said_ "What do we do now?". Though everybody in the theatre laughed (I was funny!) I am sure that just about everyone in the theatre agreed with this man, what do we do now?

After all of these past years of upcoming excitement, I feel so sad to say I will never see a new Harry Potter movie again. That was it. Though it was amazing, it was sad and any true fan I'm sure will say the same. Harry Potter has literally influenced my entire life. It came to America the year I was born and I remember seeing every movie in theatres since the time I was about three. I heard someone say today "Avada Kadavra to my childhood." I agree. So now I have to say, Thank you. Thank you Harry Potter for being around all of these years to make me laugh, make me cry, entertain me, and teach me lessons. Hopefully this will be one of those movies that will be a legend when I have children, and they'll have the same connection to it as me and many others. Thanks again.

Sincerely,
another Harry Potter fan

p.s. My first though to answer the question "what do we do now" would be the Hunger Games. But nothing will ever be the same.

No comments: